Monday, March 5, 2012

Pepper Gruyere and Ham Croque Monsier


Ham and cheese is the ordinary combination of sandwich. But If you got special cheese or ham, it would be special.

I baked Malt grain loaf. It contains wholemeal flour and malt barley grain left over from beer brewing.
I really like baking bread, but usually I just eat my bread loaves as butter and jam toast.


I thought i need something different recipe with my loaves. I need to try to make them special!!
Then I made croque monsier with this loaf.

When I saw the recipe, what a rich cheese sauce!!! White sauce, egg yolk and cheese!!
I make it pepper flavor. Cheese sauce melt in your mouth.

Pepper Gruyere and Ham Croque Monsier
(serves 2)
40g Butter softened
2cm thick slices Bread
1 table spoon of Plain flour
6 table spoon of Milk
1 Egg yolk
2 tea spoon of coarsely ground Pepper
75g Gruyere, grated
4 thick slices Ham


1. Preheat the grill.
Apply butter on the 2 slices of bread using about 1/3 of the butter. Place place on a chopping board or a plate with the buttery sides facing down.


2. Melt the remaining butter in a small sauce pan over a medium heat and add flour. Stir them together until they are blended. Then add milk gradually until them mixture has become smooth and very thick.


3. Remove from the heat and stir in the egg yolk, pepper and gruyere, then beat the sauce until the cheese has melted.


4.  Spread the cheese mixture over the unbuttered sides of 2 slices of bread. Place 2 slices of ham on top of each and sandwich with the other unbuttered bread slices.


5. Press them down lightly. Flip over the sandwiches using a palette knife so they are buttered side-up.

6. Place on to a baking sheet, and grill for 2 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven and flip over once again and grill it another 3minutes.


It is placed at Yeastspotting. 

2 comments:

  1. Looks amazing, I am drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love croque monsieur and never remember to make it. Yours looks wonderful! The malt grain loaf looks really good too.

    ReplyDelete