They resembles a rock melon, that is why it is called melon pan.
I got a request from my Japanese friend. She wants to make Melon pan.
In Japan, Melon pan is sold at the bakery and supermarket.
And also it is available at the 24hours open convenience stores anywhere and anytime in Japan.
My friend misses it in Wellington, it is not available here.
This is 3rd time to write Melon pan recipe. There are lots of arranged flavor available in Japan.
I arranged it with coconuts. Add coconuts fine into cookie pastry. Nice coconuts aroma is coming out when it comes out from oven : )
Coconuts Melon pan
400g High grade flour
8g Dry yeast
260cc lukewarm water
40g Unsalted butter (soften)
100g Unsalted butter(soften)
2 Egg (beaten)
100g Coconuts fine
1. In a mixing bowl,combine the dough ingredients except unsalted butter. Knead it with the dough hook for 8 minutes. Add soften unsalted butter and knead it another 5 minutes.
2. Transfer the dough into the oil coated container. Let it rise for 1 hour until it becomes double size.
3. Meanwhile, make the cookie crust.
Use a whipper, cream the butter until it becomes pale in a bowl. Add sugar and combine it. Add beaten eggs gradually, combine well. Add flour gradually, combine well with a spatula. Add coconuts fine, and combine well. Once it becomes doughy, transfer it on the floured counter. Knead it with your hand briefly. Wrap it with plastic wrap. Place it in the fridge.
4. Transfer the dough on the floured counter, deflate briefly. divide it onto 10 pieces (about 70g each). Make it rough ball, and rest it for 20 minutes.
5. Take the cookie pastry out from the fridge. Divide it into 10 pieces (about 50g each). Make them ball shape.
6. Prepare the baking paper on the baking tray.
Shape the bread dough in to ball shape.
Using a rolling pin, roll cookie pastry into 12cm round shape. Drape it over the bread dough. Encase it, seal the bottom loosely. The bread will proof, make it loose wrapping. Place it on the baking tray.
7, Let it rise at the warm place for 40 minutes until it becomes bigger size.
Preheat the oven at the 180℃.
8. Bake it at 180 ℃ for 18 - 20 minutes.
9. Cool them down on the wire rack.
It is placed at Yeastspotting.