What do you expect on Valentine's Day?
Do you get the rose from your boyfriend or husband? It is common that boys send gift or flowers to girls in the world. But it is different in Japan.
Girls send CHOCOLATE to boys on Valentine's Day.
Why it happen?
Valentine's Day is came from other country. It was not popular back to 1970's in Japan. One chocolate company Tried to do marketing to sell their chocolate on Valentine's Day. They advertised that 「It is a special day called Valentine's Day from abroad, it is a day send your heart and CHOCOLATE」
Since then, it gets popular and popular between girls. It becomes the day girls give chocolate to boys even between friends.
Anyway it is a chocolate day on Valentine's Day in Japan now.
It is simple to make. And it is also gluten free. It is mouth melting texture, rich chocolate.
I used 70% dark chocolate from Wellington Chocolate factory in Wellington. That is what a gorgeous chocolate cake for my husband!!
I did' t add any sugar. I thought the chocolate is sweet enough and I like bitter taste.
Dark Chocolate Terrine
(20cm loaf tine)
100g Unsalted butter(chopped)
200g Dark chocolate (chips or buttons or chopped)
3 Eggs (beaten)
70 cc full cream (warm)
1 Tbl Brandy (optional)
Line the baking paper on the loaf tin.
Preheat the oven at 180℃.
1. Place a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Place the butter and chocolate into the bowl. Stir occasionally with a rubber spatula until
melted and became smooth. Use low heat or stop heating, ,try no to burn the chocolate.
2. Take the bowl out from the pan. Add the beaten eggs in to the bowl, combine well with a whisk.
3. Add warmed full cream, combine well with the whisk. Add the brandy for optional and combine well.
4. Pour over the mixture into the prepared loaf tin. Bake it at 180℃ for 20 Min's. If the center of the loaf is still rubbery, looks not cooked enough.... it doesn't matter. The chocolate will be settle down once the loaf get coll down.
5. Cool it down on the wire rack. Place it in the fridge until it gets completely cold.
6. Cut and serve it. Warm the knife with hot tap water or boiling water. It is better way to cut the chocolate cakes.