Sunday, March 24, 2013

Maple Bacon Donuts


At HASHIGO ZAKE, the craft beer bar in Wellington. They had an event to sell Rogue Voodoo Donuts Maple bacon Ale with Maple Bacon donuts.
They asked me to make 50 maple bacon donuts.

 Problem.... I have never tried that donuts before. I could not imagine maple syrup and bacon taste together. If you are in Oregon State, you have tried it.
I have tried that beer before. It was sweet like maple and smokey.

Anyway I tried to make the donuts. I looked up recipe and photo on Internet.
That is photo I made it at first time. I brought them to the bar to try.

I needed to put more bacon and maple to improve them.

Then, Second one...
 I thought it was much better than before. But still they wanted to put more bacon to make it smokey.
But I needed to change the shape to make it like the original.

Finally I could make the recipe for beer donuts.
I found a interesting item.
Maple smoke extract

I put bit of  it into the dough and grazing to make it bit smokey

I write down recipe below. But if you want it to match with the beer, you can add some smokiness to the donut.

Maple Bacon Donuts
(make 10)
250g Plain flour
20g Sugar
3g Salt
1 tea spoon of dried yeast
3g Baking powder
1 Egg yolk
55g Water
40g Maple Syrup
20g Unsalted butter (soften)

60g Diced bacon

200g Icing powder sugar
Maple syrup
Water

5 slices of Bacon(cut in to 1/4)

1. In the dough mixer bowl, Put the ingredients except butter and diced bacon. 
Knead it 8 minutes until it becomes smooth. 
Add butter and knead it till butter combine well and get elastic and smooth. 
On the floured counter, combine the dough and diced bacon, knead it until it is completely combined. 

2. Put it in the container and put cover. Place it at the warm place (30℃) for 1hour until it becomes double size. 

3. Meanwhile cook the slices of bacon with frying pan until it gets crispy.
Cool it down.

4. Pour the dough on the floured counter, Deflate it and divide it into 5 pieces. Make them rough ball and rest them for 10 minutes.

5. Make them oval shape. Pat them your palm and make them flat lightly. 

6. Poof them at room temperature for 1 hour. 

7. Heat oil in the deep fryer or deep large, heavy sauce pan at 180℃.
Slide donuts in the hot oil, fry them each side until they become bigger and golden brown.  Remove them on the wire rack to drain oil.

8. Cool them down.
Meanwhile, make glaze. In a bowl, combine icing powder sugar and 2 table maple syrup, put a table spoon of water at a time until it become smooth but not watery. It was quite thick.

9. Once the donuts get cool down, dip them into the glaze. Top the bacon on top. Cool them down.


It is placed at Yeastspotting.

5 comments:

  1. Wow those look fantastic.
    What is better than bacon and donuts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. I didint know what what taste like bacon and maple syrup..... It is yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Konnichiwa. I found this blog a few month ago and tried to leave comment but couldn't.
    I am Japanese also and living in Wellington! Also loves baking bread!
    I am so happy to find your blog.Yoroshiku onegai shimasu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I just stumbled onto your site... it all looks so delicious. Especially this, which I will be making as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I just found your blog and I am planning to make some of your recipes very soon :). And it's strange to find this post in particular actually because I am from Oregon and I always walk pass the Voodoo Donut shop whenever I go to school. The bacon maple bar is probably their most popular donut but I never tried it haha

    ReplyDelete