Christmas is coming soon. I cant believe it will be 6 months since my baby is born.
My year 2017 was so excited. I got the first baby, I move to Tauranga....my life got new start on 2017.
This bread's idea is come from Panettone, Italian type of Christmas sweet bread. It is fermented by wild yeast like sourdough. It is rich and sweet flavor, contained eggs, butter, milk and sugar like fluffy brioche. Added dried fruit and nuts.
I made braided shape, and put it into the loaf tin. You can make it without the tin. It becomes flat braided shape without it.
I use sourdough starter to proof slowly. It makes strong gluten and more fluffy texture.
Christmas holiday bread
200g bread flour
300g bread flour
50g white sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ginger powder
2 egg yolk
100g butter (cold and cut into pieces)
50g orange peel
80g mixed nuts (chopped)
1 egg (beaten)
Make sourdough starter.
1. Combine milk and egg yolk, sourdough starter well in the bowl.
In the stand mixer, combine flour and sugar, salt,spices well. Add the liquid ingredient in the stand mixer. Knead it for 10 minutes with dough hook until it gets smooth and elastic. Add cold butter, knead it until all butter combine into the dough. Add dried fruit and chopped nuts, knead it until it gets combined.
2. Transfer the dough in the large bowl. Ferment it with the plastic cover in the fridge for 10 hours or overnight until it gets double-sized.
3. Take the bowl out from the fridge, leave it on the room temperature for 2-3 hours. On the floured surface bench top, deflate the dough briefly. Dived it into 6 pieces, make it rough ball. Leave them for 20 - 30 minutes with the cover to avoid drying out.
4. Make them 30 cm cylinders.
Braid them. Fold over the edges.
Transfer it into the loaf tin. Or you can leave it on the baking tray without the tin.
5. Proof it at room temperature with the cover for 1-2 hours until it gets bigger.
Preheat oven at 180 degrees.
6. Brush egg wash on it.
Bake it at 180 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes until it gets golden brown.
7. Cool it down on the wire rack. Take it out from the tin once it gets cool down.