I like making Bagels. But I haven't write Bagel recipe yet.
There are so many kinds of Bagels all over the world!! I wonder what kind of Bagel shall I make every time!
Babels keeps longer than other type of bread, because they contains less water.
When you knead the dough, it is really stiff!! You can add extra water if you cant knead.
This is Sweet Bagel - Honey Bagel
Honey, it is popular product of New Zealand. If you came to New Zealand, you should buy honey as a souvenir.
Honey Bagel (make 5)
200g High grade flour
20g Wholemeal flour
50g Sour dough
3g Instant yeast
30g Honey (If you like sweeter, put some more)
120g Water (lukewarm)
1-2 Table spoon of Sugar
1. In a bowl, dissolve sourdough, yeast, honey in lukewarm water.
2. In another large bowl, combine flours, salt, mixture of yeast and water. Mix with your finger combine the ingredients till water and flour combined well.
3. Place the dough onto the floured counter, then knead it for 10minutes till it becomes smooth and uniform.
4. Put the bowl with cover into the warm place (35℃) till it becomes double size (about 1-1.5 hours )
5. Pour the dough onto floured counter, then deflate it, knead briefly. Divide into 5 (80g), make them balls roughly.
Rest them for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare boiling water with 1 - 2 table spoon of sugar in a large sauce pan.
Sugar makes them brown and golden surface.
A) Make 20cm sticks.
B) Press an edge of the dough with a rolling pin.
C) Make a round shape. Put some water on the pressed edge, joint the edges each other.
D) Overturn the dough. Cover the edge with the pressed one, seal it tightly.
8.Preheat oven at 210C.
10. Bake them immediately at 200C for 15 - 20 minutes or till color becomes golden brown.
I had it with cream cheese, strawberry jam, blue cheese and honey!!!